12th Annual KIALOA
Live Like You Paddle
Scholarship Program for Students
What is a Student Paddle Scholarship?
We believe at KIALOA that when you paddle outrigger canoes you become a part of the ocean, land and people of Hawaii. The Live Like You Paddle Scholarship is an opportunity for students 18 and under to express their love for the Hawaiian Outrigger Culture. The top 5 students who can express it best will win a free KIALOA paddle.
How do I enter?
- Print and fill out an application provided in a link at the bottom of this page.
- Think of a creative way to express your love of Outrigger and how it connects you with Hawaiian culture. You can do this in an essay or a collage of pictures, music or any way you can think of to tell us how you feel about paddling.
- Get a teacher or a coach to write a letter of recommendation telling us how great you are and why you deserve to be a winner.
I need help understanding the project, what do I do?
The great thing about this scholarship is that it doesn’t matter how good you are in school. We’re not going to grade your essay on spelling or grammar and we’re not going to judge your ability to draw or anything like that. You just have to show us how much you love Outrigger and that you understand how important it is to Hawaiian values; values like Laulima (cooperation), Kuleana (responsibility), Kokua (helping), Ohana (family), or Ha’aha’a (humility).
Here are just a few ideas:
- An Essay or Poem.
- A computer or digital presentation.
- A collage of pictures and/or words.
- A drawing or painting.
- A song or dance that can be presented in a CD or digitally (on a computer).
Remember originality counts and you don’t have to stick to this list.
When is it due?
Turn your application in by May 31st 2015 with your project and letter of recommendation.
How do I know if I won?
We will notify winners by the end of June so be sure to fill out the application with your name, address, phone number and e-mail if you have one.
What kind of paddle do I get?
Good question! Winners will be chosen for having created the most original way to express their love for Outrigger and these students can choose any Hybrid, wood canoe paddle or steering paddle in our 2015 line-up.*
*excluding the full carbon paddles or surf paddles.
These are excluded because they are either not an outrigger paddle or are not eligible for team paddling.